Sunday, November 22, 2009

It starts with a seed



This is the sketch of a painting I've been working on for an upcoming exhibit.  The idea came to me from a few places.  The first comes simply from the fact that all life has a small and fragile beginning, which needs to be nourished and cared for in order to survive and grow.  The second being the mustard seed as a metaphor.  Because it is among the smallest of seeds, it has been used in many cultural stories.  The one I chose comes from its representation as mankind's knowledge of universe in relation to the scale of the universe and all it contains.  This is meant to teach humility, which is something I feel we all need a little of, and what many people seem to be losing sight of - especially around the holidays.

A portion of the sales will be donated to a local food bank to help those in need.  The opening is December 5th, and I will be sure to post the finished painting around that time.

No comments: