Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Frazetta Tribute submission piece - painting begins...


Phase 1 (approx. an hour's worth at this point) of my painting submission for the Frazetta Tribute Exhibition.  16" x 20" oil on masonite.  Actually, before I started sorta blocking things in, I primed my board with gesso (this seals the board), then I laid down a ground of burnt sienna, yellow ochre and some white over that.  (A ground color gives you a nice middle value to start with, and gets rid of all that daunting white space... an Old Master's technique.)  After the ground was down and semi-dry, I began laying things out... so I guess this is more like phase 3.  :P

Below is a pic of it next to the sketch.  I tried getting a decent photo, but you know.. when things are wet, tis a difficult thing to do.





No comments: